Marvel Studios has become a large force in the movie and TV world with their hits Avenger movies and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show. And they are about to get even bigger. Thursday multiple media outlets reported that Marvel has now signed a deal with online movie streaming provider Netflix for four separate live-action series starring Marvel heroes Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil and Jessica Jones which will lead into a Defenders mini series.
The four series, each focusing on one of the four “street level” heroes, will consist of a minimum 13 episodes (possibly more?)and lead to an eventual “Defenders” team-up. Newsarama.com reports the different series will take place in Hell’s Kitchen, the usual stomping ground of daredevil and “other flawed heroes.”
“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment in the press release. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”
With Marvel dominating the superhero movie genre with their shared movie-verse they look to only expand upon that with these shows. This deal with Netflix only opens the door for more interesting stories to be told with some fan favorite characters who according to Bob Iger, Disney CEO, “were never going to become feature films.” due to their low popularity.
Daredevil, arguably the most well-known of the four characters, only recently became a Marvel Studios property again after a poorly received movie in 2003 under Fox. With the return of the Daredevil properties to the already extensive character reserve of Marvel Studios will it be long before we see Elektra return.
The only question is will these series follow the Netflix model of full season at once as other exclusive series(Breaking Bad) have. If so they will allow viewers to binge watch in a day, weekend or week. Whatever it will be, fans of the House of Ideas can look forward to more of Marvel from the screen, both big and small. Maybe we’ll finally get a decent Punisher out of this deal too.
- Netflix Signs Big Deal for Daredevil (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Netflix Picks Up Four Marvel Live-Action Series & A Mini Featuring Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage For 2015 Launch (m.deadline.com)
- Marvel/Netflix to Launch Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Power Man and Iron Fist Shows plus…THE DEFENDERS (comicsbeat.com)
- Disney/ABC bring Marvel heroes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage to Netflix (jedimouseketeer.com)
- Marvel & Netflix Confirm Deal For 4 TV Shows & ‘Defenders’ Miniseries (screenrant.com)
- Marvel Bringing Four Shows to Netflix Starting With Daredevil; Building to ‘The Defenders’ Event (slashfilm.com)
- Marvel Has Another ABC Show Coming; Netflix Shows Could Lead to Movies (slashfilm.com)
- Marvel to team with Netflix to bring us TV shows of their lesser known heroes including DAREDEVIL (aintitcool.com)